2020's Word of the Year

2020 word of the year- Release
Release control of what I can't control. Release worry. Release fear. Release...

Friday, November 13

Recipe: Scalloped Potatoes

The other night I was in the mood for scalloped potatoes. I looked at the recipe in my old trusty Better Homes and Garden cookbook and although it looked okay, I thought maybe I could improve on it. Here is what I did:

Peel and slice thinly 6-8 medium potatoes.

Melt 1/4 cup butter and add 1 finely diced onion. Cook until onions are soft. Add 1/3 cup of flour and let brown slightly. (you want to get the flour taste cooked out) Add 2 cups of milk, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper, cook until it's slightly thickened. Add 1/2 of the potatoes to a 3 quart casserole and cover with 1/2 the milk mixture. Add the rest of the potatoes and the rest of the milk mixture. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 1/4 hours at 350 degrees, take the lid off and cook an additional 15 minutes.

It's really a very simple dish but oh so tasty. Give it a try!

No comments: